Monday, July 13, 2015

Missed opportunity

Today the portfolio increased significantly again, which I would have never guessed. On Friday I sold a small portion of my largest holding Betsson, that "cost" me a couple of thousand SEK as the stock rallied (again) today. Just to highlight that investing is hard.

I will now account for a "theoretical" case, one which I actually could have made in practice. In December 2006 I made a large (600 kSEK) investment (I thought so at least...) in two companies that are no more listed. I was quite bold (or I would rather say today to myself 'stupid' as I did not know what I was investing in, even though I had done a proper valuation of the companies) as I basically put all of my financial assets into those two companies. I was lucky and was able to exit both positions at roughly +/- 0 about two years later amidst severe market havoc.

Now, had I instead at the dates when the cash became available invested in a company called Betsson (it would have been possible, trading volumes on those dates well exceed the 600 kSEK I had at that time) and kept that investment intact until today, we would have had more than 35 MSEK (pretax), with about equal amounts in Betsson and Net Entertainment. That amount is without dividends reinvested... This year's dividends would have been over 750 000 SEK (pretax).

All my other savings and dividends during the years until now would also have made a substantial sum, with dividends most likely amounting today to between 200 - 300 kSEK.

Fortunately, I started to invest in Betsson about three to four years later, and have still got a very nice IRR on that investment with well over 30% annually at today's valuation.

Now, the case above is "theoretical" for two reasons (at least when it comes to myself);
A) I would not in 2006 nor today have dared to invest in a company with that short track record that Betsson had at that time
B) I would not during all the years have kept the full position as I during many times over the last years have deemed the company overvalued AND that the position would have had a too (by extreme measures) large weight in my total portfolio. (I am actually still scaling down this position from time to time as it is such a large share of my current portfolio)

I think the key lesson is that I would truly like to focus my investments for the future around "wonderful companies". But they are really hard to first understand and second to value properly and then thirdly to find at some kind of 'margin of safety' price or at least fair price. But in the long run, this is absolutely what you should try to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment