Thursday, June 26, 2014

Awilco Drilling and Bonheur

One of latest investments that I've made is in Awilco Drilling. I cannot recall how I found out about the company, but I am fairly certain that my thought process started with Lundaluppen's series on Bonheur. To be honest I did not understand much of it, more than that LL had done his homework. Based on a RoE of 6% the company seems fairly valued; if they can increase this a couple of %-points each year going forward, it will be a very good investment. I think my key conclusion from LL's analysis was that you buy FOE and get some other businesses for free. That seems reasonably interesting as long as the rest is not cash-draining. However, I felt that Bonheur was out of my 'circle of competence' and a very complicated structure of companies I just had a hard time to understand. As I started to do some digging on my own I found out about Awilco Drilling. Doing a comparison between Awilco Drilling, FOE, Seadrill, Transocean and Diamond Offshore on multiples I found that Awilco was much cheaper than the rest with FOE as a distant number two on most parameters.

The really interesting part with Awilco is that they are really showing me the money as a stockholder. My first investments have already returned 11,5% cash back in less than five months. However, there is at least one major issue from a risk perspective in the short term; they only have two rigs. Bad things can happen. Therefore I have taken two precautions; firstly I have only invested a smaller part of my portfolio into the stock (<5%), secondly, as I would further like to mitigate the impact of something happening to one of the rigs (while still surpassing the 5% level) I created a 'hedge' by expanding the number of rigs by buying also Bonheur (which owns the more expensive FOE, but also hold some other businesses). So I partially view Awilco (~67% of combined purchase value) and Bonheur (~33%) as 'one' investment at the time being, in the sense that the combined businesses in the short term should be able to generate a cash flow of at least >2% of initial investment even if one of the companies run into severe trouble.

The key point with this post kids, is that you should really think about the risk in each investment. If there is a significant risk, make sure the stake you take is a small part (I would say <5%) of your total asset portfolio. Never risk your well-being for the long run by doing something risky in the short-term. It really kills your long-term investment performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment