Friday, June 20, 2014

Current HNWI status

Our base is currently in northern Europe and that's where you've experienced your first years of your life. Having seen a few places around our globe, mainly in Europe but also in large parts of Asia and some in Africa and the US, I genuinely treasure the ease with which one can get access to the nature in the Nordic countries. I hope you will also treasure that; it is a fantastic combination of a region with high living standard, a society with a fair degree of trust among people (even though I unfortunately believe it is slowly eroding) and a fairly clean and very accessible nature.

A short while ago I surpassed a major milestone in my investing life, I am now able to call myself a HNWI (according to the definition used by Cap Gemini, World Wealth Report). This will most likely change a few times over the next two to three years (i.e., I will fall out of the category), but hopefully after that I will be a stable HNWI.

NB: HNWIs are defined as those having investable assets of US$1 million or more, excluding primary residence, collectibles, consumables, and consumer durables.
Exchange rate as of May 31st, 2014: 6,66 SEK/USD

Below is a summary of my best understanding of the investable assets (in SEK) for some bloggers. The list is not complete and unfortunately lack some bloggers in Scandinavia (such as 40%20år, Riskminimeraren, Fundamentalanalysbloggen, Spartacus, Defensiven, AnotherValueinvestor to mention some of the most interesting) where it would be interesting to know what investable assets they have. For bloggers marked in red, the data is a few months old.

Anyway, a key take-away:
I think investable assets is a good guidance/proxy for how much to take impression from each respective person that you try to learn investing from, i.e. the bigger the sum of investable assets, the more you should weigh in what they write/think.


Glad midsommar to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to keep a blog for your kids' benefit! I think I might "borrow" this idea, don't know if I will have the balls to make it public. Congrats on being a USD millionaire! Insightful to look at bloggers net worth, it's a little ironic that most bloggers are not worth more than a 2:a apartment in Stockholm. I guess it has to be that way since if they were worth 10MSEK or more they would probably not be blogging (which puts you in a "mellanläge" but since you are doing this for your kids it feels safe to say you will be around for a while). It would be cool to see what advice we normal readers can gain along the way. What I can take away from reading the post is not to mindlessly follow advice about investing without being critical of what you are reading and who it is coming from and furthermore based on what I see if you really want to be rich the stock market should almost be secondary to investing in yourself (sounds cheesy but what I mean is that you probably have a better chance to really hit it big if you find a niche for something in your field of expertise and exploit it on your own even if you fail a number of times, instead of being an "anställd" for 40 years and waiting on a pension)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to borrow this idea. Regarding what you read and what advice to follow, I have always tried to have my own independent thinking (although I seldom express it openly) and go my own way (although I of course at lot of times fall for the 'group pressure' that we all feel in our society). Regarding on 'investing in yourself' I will return with a longer post on that.

    ReplyDelete