Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Betsson - my largest holding

My largest holding (measured as current value) is currently Betsson. I have owned the company during the more than three years (measured as weighted average) and the first investment was done about 4,5 years ago. On a few occasions the last 1,5 years I have sold smaller parts of my investment, but also added positions. Net divestment during the last 1,5 years is 850 shares.

During the time that I have now owned the company my CAGR (pretax, but incl. received dividends after-tax) is above 25%, which is far above my long-term investment return target of 10% p.a.

In the chart below I have plotted the EPS TTM (last twelve months) for Betsson as red bars and then the closing price as the blue line and the corresponding P/E TTM in the green line. The flat red line is the average P/E TTM (14,0) during the period (since Oct 8th 2007). The black arrows indicate when I have bought (upward-pointing arrow) and when I have sold (downward-pointing arrow). The length of the arrow correspond to the size of the transaction in number of shares. In the chart it is a hard to see that the EPS TTM is now close to 14 (13,88 to be exact, based on the recently released Q2 report).


As you can see from the chart above the first investment was made at a fairly high P/E (of about 15,5) in early 2010. One of the good things about following a company for a longer time, is that you start to get a better understanding for when it is cheap and when it is expensive. In mid 2011 I was even more confident that the company was attractively priced and added a fair position. Over the last 18 months I have started to take some money 'off the table' through a number of divestments. The main reason for this is that due to fairly high valuation at several points in time (P/E well above 14), I have judged it a good time to take some money 'off the table'.

What I like about this company is
- strong (although diminishing) ownership by physical persons
- consistent management; Pontus Lindwall (former CEO) now holds the Chairman position in the Board and works actively with strategic tasks
- fantastic ability to generate and distribute cash (through redemption of shares) to shareholders while growing the business
- market leading position (no 1 or no 2) in key markets
- seem to be able to acquire other smaller companies at interestingly low multiples to EBIT
- seem to (here I would, however, still not draw too far-reaching conclusions) learn how to integrate those acquired companies into existing operations to extract synergies
- seem to build in-house capabilities in many key areas (IT platform, payment solutions, data mining, proprietary games, marketing etc) to be successful in this business, while continuously pouring money into marketing
- 'pricing power' in the sense that this business should always - all else equal (i.e. mainly given a stable competitive situation) - be able to offset impact from inflation
- the option of successfully entering the Chinese market, which could potentially allow for massive growth over many years

There are also a number of key issues with the business, the main being that I do not see any clear moat (competitors popping up left and right as limited capital is needed to start up a business). If I had seen a clear moat, I would probably have poured all my money into this single company as it otherwise have nearly all characteristics that I like for a company that I want to own.

Today, I would most likely not add to the position unless P/E comes down to 14 or below before year-end this year. However, I do not believe I will sell either (at current price levels) as I think the company will be able to continue to grow its earnings in a pace that will give me some 8-9% total investment return over the next 10-20 years (given that they can hold an RoE at 32% or more and continue to reinvest the same share of their earnings into the business as they have done the last couple of years)

3 comments:

  1. Betsson is really a great company in many ways, but like you say, there is no clear moat although I would venture to say that it is not easy to compete for a small player with a big shot like Betsson. With the information you are sitting on now, what would you say is a justified price for the company?

    Mvh
    /Vägen till Frihet
    http://vagentill-frihet.blogspot.se

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays I do normally not think about a justified price, but rather what annual return that I will get over a longer time span. As mentioned in the post I believe I can get some 8-9% CAGR over the next 10-20 years at current price level and my assumptions about ROE and dividend share. At a price below 190 the CAGR will increase to some 10-11% with the same assumptions. Also I believe that the annual return after such a purchase could be even higher during a shorter time span (say 3-5 years)

      Delete
  2. Bets10 bahis sitesi hakkında herşey http://www.betsgiris.com/forum/bets10-giris/ www.betsgiris.com adresinde

    ReplyDelete